Saturday, September 20, 2014

How We Do Spelling


They are very good at asking how to spell words that are meaningful to them. Frequently they record the word in a need to know place just in case they may need to know how to spell the word again. Lately, they have been asking for formal spelling practice. I did like All About Spelling, but for them it was "too much like a script", that had everything to do with me. I started to dislike the style of the lessons, although they were learning I dreaded spelling. lessons. I decided to come up with something that would keep this subject exciting, challenging, and consistent. 

                                                                     
I came up with a list of possible activity ideas to do with the spelling words, this certainly isn't an exhaustive list. They may and I hope that they will come up with another way to study their words.
                         
                                                                                

I decided to use the National Scripps Spelling Word List for 2013-2014 School Year . They will also be using Quizlet to hear the pronunciation of the word, and for other fun activities that are available on their website. I made a matching the word to the definition activity. They love stuff like this, and I still like offering self correcting material.

DJ's spelling words will always be color coded blue, and Ken's will be red.


 The spelling work is contained inside two pouches. The smaller pouch which holds the words goes inside the larger pouch that holds the definitions. I was out of blue ribbon so for this pouch DJ has to remember that that his pouch has a green ribbon.


Here it is shelf ready, or backpack ready :) We start adding spelling into the mix this upcoming week. 

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm reading through and catching up. I'm so glad you commented today because I clicked through to your profile and found out that you HAVE been blogging here. Apparently Bloglovin' bounced my subscription to you off of my list and I had no way of knowing. I thought you just hadn't posted in a long time! Great spelling ideas. This will be the first place I run if we ditch AAS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so guilty of reading your blog and not commenting. I love your blog! Your homeschool rocks! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I am easing right back into blogging. The more I blog the more comfortable I am becoming.

      Delete